ISO/IEC 27001 (ISO 27001) is an international standard for Information Security management. It provides a model to establish, implement, maintain and continually improve a risk-managed Information Security Management System (ISMS).
The standard forms the basis for effective management of sensitive, confidential information and for the application of information security controls. An organization that conforms to the ISO 27001 standard possesses clear, objective proof of its commitment to continued improvement of control over its sensitive and confidential information.
ISO 27001 therefore provides reassurance to sponsors, shareholders and customers that the organization has expert control over its risk management and data security. Due to the diversity of different organizations’ information assets – the ISO 27001 standard is adaptable according to an organization’s requirements. The design and implementation of the ISMS is tailored to the organization’s objectives, information assets, operational processes, governing legal requirements and regulatory security requirements.
The purpose of the ISO 27001 Practitioner – Information Security Officer qualification is to confirm whether the candidate has achieved sufficient understanding of ISO/IEC 27001 and its application in a given situation. A successful ISO 27001 Practitioner – Information Security Officer candidate should, with suitable direction be able to start applying the International Standard to enable the management of information security but may not be sufficiently skilled to do this appropriately for all situations.
Their individual information security expertise, complexity of the information security management system and the support given for the use of ISO/IEC 27001 in their work environment will all be factors that impact what the Practitioner – Information Security Officer can achieve.
Candidates must exhibit the competences required for the foundation qualification and show that they can apply ISMS concepts to achieve the objectives and requirements of ISO/IEC 27001 and supporting standards within an organizational context.
The ISO 27001 Practitioner – Information Security Officer training course will help candidates to:
- Apply the principles of ISMS policy and its information security scope, objectives, and processes within an organizational context;
- Apply the principles of risk management including risk identification, analysis and evaluation and propose appropriate treatments and controls to reduce information security risk, support business objectives and improve information security;
- Analyze and evaluate deployed risk treatments and controls to assess their effectiveness and opportunities for continual improvement;
- Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of the ISMS through the use of internal audit and management review to continually improve the suitability, adequacy and effectiveness of the ISMS;
- Understand, create, apply and evaluate the suitability, adequacy and effectiveness of documented information and records required by ISO/IEC 27001;
- Identify and apply appropriate corrective actions to maintain ISMS conformity with ISO/IEC 27001.
An ISO/IEC 27001 Foundation Training and Certification certificate (or equivalent if accepted by APMG) is a pre-requisite for the ISO 27001 Practitioner – Information Security Officer qualification.